Click below to print the PDF Parshas Vayeitzei Print Version
An Overview of a Shiur by Rav Daniel Dumbroff on Parshas Shemini
(וכי יותן מים על זרע ונפל מנבלתם עליו טמא הוא לכם (ויקרא יא:לח
- Netilas Yadayim for fruit dipped in liquid – Chazal required this due to a complex gezeira related to tumah.
- Mishna Berura – Many people do not do this today, and although there is some support for that, one should really comply with the gezeira.
- If the fruit is less than a k’zayis – Mishna Berura says there is room to be lenient, based on a precedent concerning netilas yadayim for bread.
- Pesach Night – Everyone
washes for karpas
dipped in salt water to comply with the stringent opinions.
- Tur – Eat less than a kezayis of karpas to allow the beracha count for the maror but still avoid questions about reciting a beracha acharona.
- Mishna Berura:
- If so, how does this help, if no netilas yadayim is needed for less than a kezayis?
- Response – Ultimately, we must agree with the Tur and be machmir (even if we don’t understand). Therefore, less than a kezayis of fruit or vegetable dipped in liquid also renders one chayav.